The best panini recipe, made with Kevala's Organic Olive Oil. Serve it with soup or even salad.
For the bread
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Kevala Raw Honey
- 1 Tbsp dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp Kevala Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- Kevala Organic Sesame Seeds
For the panini
- 1 Tbsp Kevala Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 slices Cheddar cheese
- 3 slices of ham
- 1 slice firm-ripe tomato
- 1 thin slice onion
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, and honey.
- Add the yeast, butter, and enough warm water to make a soft, sticky dough. Add a little more flour or more water if necessary to get the right consistency.
- Knead the dough by hand or with an electric stand mixer and dough hook for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic; the dough should remain tacky (using a stand mixer is the easier way).
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, gather it up into a mound, and turn it over. Cover the bowl with plastic and then a towel and set aside to rise until doubled, about 30 minutes in a warm kitchen or an hour in a cool kitchen.
- Divide the dough into 10 plum-sized balls. Set the balls of dough on a lightly floured surface, cover, and leave to rest for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line one or two baking sheets with parchment paper. Take a ball of dough and spread and shape it into a flat, oblong roll about 6 inches in length. Transfer it to the prepared pan and repeat with the remaining dough, allowing space between each roll for expansion.
- Cover and leave the rolls to rise for 30 to 60 minutes, once they rise, top the panini rolls with Sesame Seeds.
- Place the panini rolls in the middle of the oven and bake for about 8 minutes, or until set and barely colored. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing lengthwise along one side and building paninis.
- Drizzle Olive Oil on one side of each bread slice. Spread 1 Tbsp mayonnaise on top of the other side of each slice. Pile cheddar cheese, ham, tomato, and onion on top. Top with the other bread slice (with mayonnaise side down)
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat, add a little olive oil. Place the panini on the grill; weigh it down with a heavy pan. Cook until cheese is melted, for about 3 minutes per side.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
NOTE: This recipe is perfect for a family of four, you can double the recipe if serving a larger group.