THE BEST HOMEMADE FALAFELS
- Drain the garbanzo beans from the water and dry them completely. You can do this on a kitchen towel by giving them a good wipe down.
- Transfer the garbanzo beans along with the rest of the ingredients except the sesame seeds and flour to a food processor. Pulse the mixture until it breaks down. You don’t want it to become a paste. You want it to still have tiny chunks of chickpeas running through.
- Transfer the falafel mixture to a bowl, add the sesame seeds, and start by adding 2 tablespoons of flour. Stir to combine. Try to form patties with the mixture. If the mixture doesn’t hold it’s shape, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour and stir to combine. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes before forming patties or balls.
- Heat an inch of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. When the oil is warm, place 4-6 patties into the oil at a time, depending on the size of the skillet. Do not overcrowd the pan as it will become very difficult to turn the patties. Let the falafel cook for 3-4 minutes per side. It’s always good to do a test patty, taste to make sure it’s cooked through and adjusting the time as needed.
- Let them cool and enjoy ;)